About this course: Level 1 Refereeing is an introduction to basketball and is aimed towards beginners. The goal of the course is to encourage the basketball enthusiast to get onto a basketball court and ‘blow a whistle’. The course gives an insight into the basic mechanics of refereeing and the violations and fouls that need to be administered. A Level 1 referee is certified to officiate at school matches, youth local leagues and at recreational level.
To take this course, you must be:
- at least 14 years of age
- well versed and be able to communicate effectively in the English language (reading, writing, listening, speaking)
If you have any disabilities and are not sure if this course is the right fit for you, please do not hesitate to reach out and inquire. Just Contact Us.
This course is designed to encourage:
- The basketball student, player, or coach to get onto the basketball court.
- Educators, parents, and spectators to gain a fundamental understanding of the basic rules and role of the referee.
- People to both understand and administer the rules of basketball as simple as possible. Therefore, this online course has been designed to deliver a basic level of officiating.
Officiating has two basic requirements essential to the process of ‘blowing your whistle’:
- Officiating technique is the application of the rules or laws of the game, and will help the game be played according to the rules ensuring clarification of violations.
- Officiating mechanics enable you to be at the right place around the court to make the correct decision, and administer your decision.
Once this course is completed and you have received your certificate it is valid for a total of 3 years. If inactive your certification will expire. Options for renewal can be found at the end of this online course or at the bottom of the AllOfficials Learn homepage labeled, “Certification Renewal & Replacement”.
This course is intended to be used primarily as a means of instruction in the basic elements that are necessary in order to officiate a game of basketball.
What is a ROC you might ask? R – Referee, O – Official, C – Coach. We have the initiative and a vision that everyone should become a ROC as there are many opportunities that arise around the world with becoming a ROC. You step into the basketball community in high demand, as you are a certified referee, official, and coach. Once you have taken this referee course, adding coaching and table official to your resume will help you become an all around basketball professional as you will understand the rules of every position on the court. There will be more paid and voluntary opportunities, you will aid in supporting your wider community as there is a shortage of these basketball professionals. Once you have become a ROC you can travel anywhere in the world and be able to be a coach, referee, or table official. Supporting other basketball communities around the world!
This course has been approved by the CPD, a world-renowned accreditor known for offering and supporting continued professional development.