Referees Level 1 is an introduction to basketball and is aimed at the beginner. The goal of the course is to encourage the basketball enthusiast to get onto a basketball court and ‘blow a whistle’. The course gives an insight into the basic mechanics of refereeing and the violations and fouls that need to be administered. A Level 1 referee is certified to officiate at school matches, youth local leagues and at recreational level.
This Course is designed to encourage:
- The basketball student, player or coach to get onto the basketball court.
- Educators, parents, and spectators to gain a fundamental understanding of the basic rules and role of the referee.
- We will attempt to make the rules of basketball as simple as possible to both understand and administer. Therefore, this online course has been designed to deliver a basic level of officiating.
Officiating has two basic requirements essential to the process of “blowing your whistle”:
- Officiating technique is the application of the rules or laws of the game, and will help the game be played according to the rules ensuring clarification of violations.
- Officiating mechanics enable you to be at the right place around the court to make the correct decision, and administer your decision.